Saturday, December 01, 2012

Garden update December 01

The cold frames were planted November 18th kind of later than we usually plant. Just too busy with other things. Glad to report the kale and spinach are growing fairly fast and the carrots and lettuce is just coming up. Meg picked up some Swiss Chard seeds and we hope to make a spot for the chard and some rainbow carrots. Likely the new seeds will go in a smaller cold frame the second graders built last year

Friday I brought home a yard of compost and today I started using it. Planted 100 crocus bulbs I picked up at Lowes for 75% off. Also finally planted the last 4 big hellebores we dug up this summer when we moved Meg's parents. The camellia we dug out of Sharna's yard in Wilmington was planted today as well. Last weekend I planted more crocuses, pansies and 30 or so mixed daffodils.

A new huge project is being planned here! You might know I'm a handyman/builder and I just have reached the point where I need a decent shop. I have a 12' x 16' shed that is slam packed with tools and left over lumber and plywood. So we are in the beginning stages of planning a 20' x 24' garage shop. I'll do all the building except the wiring and shingles.

Placing the work shop here is a small problem, but we think we have a site in mind that is handy to the house and extending the driveway. Removal of at least three big trees will be required, one will at least be good firewood it is a big oak. We plan on getting a building permit.

While looking for a place to build the work shop we found the first ever blooms of our
climbing aster we planted 4-5 years ago and never had any luck with it.

 This climbing aster Aster carolinianus is supposed to be a native here, climbs to a size-able 10 foot plant. Bees and butterflies love it. I found another plant last summer and planted it in the garden. Last week I found a huge 3 gallon climbing aster at the Durham Garden Center and planted it under the screened porch, hoping it'll climb up the side of the porch.

The chickens are doing fine, no eggs yet. They let us hand feed them sunflower seeds. Meg has brought them lots of compost (apples and melons they love) from the school. Manny the cat has almost followed me into the chicken yard a few times, he just enjoys following us around the yard.


8 comments:

Larry said...

How very exciting to look forward to a new shop! I had wanted to move my workshop to our new little barn after we built it, but in this climate, the heating would be exorbitant and I do appreciate being able to simply run downstairs for a few minutes at a time, to an always warm and comfortable workshop. My 'old cheese factory' basement is 70 feet long and it's still not big enough! I think the highlight of a separate shop for me would be being open to the outdoors in the summer. I frequently move equipment to the garages during nice weather to do my projects and really enjoy that experience. Good luck to you and enjoy the process.... especially the design stage... take care, Larry

Andrea said...

The builder-gardener-photographer is formalizing it to a new shop! Wow, how i wish you are just nearby for us who want to build a lot of something but doesn't know anyone in the neighborhood who is just handy! I am a frustrated carpenter who knows nothing of carpetry, haha!

Rock rose said...

That project should keep you busy for a while. I have a little potting shed but things have spilled over into the laundry room!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

You have been busy planting! Spring will be glorious with all your new blooms. I finally planted some crocus a week or so ago. Hoping they shine for me!

F Cameron said...

You are so resourceful!

Good luck with your shop. I know you've thought of everything and it will be fantastic.

Kerri Farley said...

Lovely flowers!
Always great to be able to build your own things .... looking forward to seeing the progress on the building :)

Indie said...

How great to get a nice big shop! I'm sure it will look fantastic when it's all finished.

I still haven't planted a single bulb. I'm so behind this year. At least it's fantastic planting weather this week! Your climbing aster is pretty - I'm sure you're glad it finally bloomed!

oakleyses said...

polo lacoste, ray ban uk, lululemon canada, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet, north face uk, kate spade, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, uggs outlet, replica handbags, nike air max, oakley pas cher, sac hermes, abercrombie and fitch uk, hollister uk, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, guess pas cher, michael kors, converse pas cher, timberland pas cher, burberry handbags, mulberry uk, nike tn, north face, coach purses, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, coach outlet store online, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, hogan outlet, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, new balance, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ralph lauren uk, nike air max uk